World

Gaza health officials say Israeli strikes, gunfire kill five

Five people were killed in Gaza on Sunday amid ongoing Israeli attacks, with drone strikes and gunfire reported in multiple areas. [Getty]

Gaza health officials said Israeli strikes and gunfire killed five people on Sunday, the latest violence to rock the Palestinian territory.

Despite an October ceasefire, Gaza remains gripped by daily violence as Israeli strikes continue amid accusations that the military has violated the truce.

“Five martyrs have been brought to hospitals as a result of Israeli strikes today so far in the Gaza Strip,” said the civil defence agency.

According to the agency, three people were killed in an Israeli drone strike in the central area of Deir al Balah.

Another Palestinian died in an Israeli strike in the southern Mawasi district of Khan Younis, while Israeli gunfire killed a fifth person in Gaza City.

Hospitals in Gaza confirmed receiving the bodies of the victims.

According to The New Arab, six Palestinians were injured on Sunday evening after an Israeli reconnaissance drone targeted a group of people in Deir al-Balah.

Sources told The New Arab that the drone fired at least one missile towards the gathering. Several of those injured were reported to be in critical condition.

Medical workers and residents transported the wounded to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in central Gaza for treatment. Several patients were admitted to intensive care, with injuries ranging from moderate to severe.

The Israeli military did not immediately comment.

The ceasefire has largely halted the Gaza war that began after Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

But violence has persisted, with at least 871 Palestinians killed since the truce began, according to Gaza’s health ministry, with 2,562 injured and 776 people recovered.

It added that the overall toll since the war began on 7 October 2023 had risen to 72,763 deaths and 172,664 injuries.