World

Iran submits updated 14-point proposal to US through Pakistan

Iran has submitted an updated 14-point proposal to the United States through Pakistani mediation, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency, as indirect negotiations between the two sides continue.

Tasnim, citing an informed source, said on Monday that Tehran’s latest proposal was delivered through Pakistan after Washington had previously responded to an earlier Iranian draft with its own 14-point text.

According to the report, Iran introduced several amendments before sending back its revised proposal through the established mediation channel.

The updated Iranian proposal reportedly focuses particularly on issues related to ending the war and confidence-building measures by the United States.

The report comes days after Washington publicly rejected Iran’s latest proposal, though Iranian officials say indirect contacts between the two sides have continued behind the scenes.

Tasnim also reported that, in its latest proposal, the United States had agreed to temporarily lift oil sanctions on Iran during the negotiations.

However, the Iranian source said Tehran had insisted that the full lifting of sanctions must be included within any US commitments.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei confirmed on Monday that despite Washington’s public rejection of Iran’s proposal, Tehran had received a package of US comments and amendments through Pakistani mediation.

Baghaei said Iran received the American observations last week, one day after Tehran submitted its proposal.

He added that Iranian officials had reviewed the amendments over recent days before sending their own responses and observations back to Washington through Pakistan.

“The path of communication and negotiations continues through the Pakistani channel,” Baghaei said.

Addressing the substance of the negotiations, Baghaei stressed that Iran’s right to enrich uranium was a “fixed right that is non-negotiable and not open to bargaining”.

He said the right was guaranteed under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and did not require recognition from any other party.

Baghaei also said lifting sanctions and releasing frozen Iranian assets remained a central demand for Tehran in any negotiations with the United States.

He described the release of Iranian funds frozen in foreign banks as a “rightful demand”, arguing that the money had been withheld from Iran unlawfully for years.

The spokesperson added that sanctions relief remained one of Iran’s main priorities in every round of negotiations and said Iranian negotiators were continuing to pursue the issue seriously.