World

Iran warns any renewed war would reach 'beyond' the MENA region

Abbas Araghchi warned that any return to war with Iran would bring “many surprises”. [Getty]

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has warned that any renewed attack on the country would trigger a conflict extending beyond the Middle East, after US President Donald Trump said Washington may be forced to attack Iran again if negotiations collapse.

In a statement carried by Iran’s IRGC-linked Tasnim news agency, the Revolutionary Guards said the “American-Zionist enemy” had failed to learn from repeated strategic defeats against the Islamic Republic despite renewing its threats.

The statement added that although Iran had faced attacks from “the two most expensive armies in the world”, it had not yet used all of its capabilities against its adversaries.

“Any new aggression will turn into a war that exceeds the region,” the IRGC said, warning that Iran’s “devastating strikes will hit locations you cannot imagine”.

“We are men of war, and you will see our power on the battlefield, not in hollow statements and virtual pages,” the statement added.

The warning came after Trump said on Tuesday that the United States could again attack Iran and that Tehran was “begging” for a deal to end the war.

Trump said he had given Iran a limited timeframe to reach an agreement.

“I mean, I’m talking about two or three days—maybe Friday or Saturday or Sunday. Maybe early next week,” he told reporters, as diplomatic efforts continue to secure a lasting ceasefire and broader agreement between Washington and Tehran.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also warned on Tuesday night that any return to war would bring “many surprises”.

Writing on X, Araghchi said the US Congress had now acknowledged the destruction of dozens of aircraft worth billions of dollars during the war.

He also claimed Iran’s armed forces became “the first force in the world” to successfully shoot down the advanced F-35 fighter jet.

“The lessons we have learned and the knowledge we have gained mean that any return to the battlefield will come with far greater surprises,” he wrote.

Trump revealed earlier this week that the United States had postponed a planned military strike against Iran following requests from Gulf leaders, including Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the Gulf leaders believed a “very acceptable” agreement could still be reached between Iran, the United States and regional countries, provided Tehran does not obtain nuclear weapons.