World

Mystery substance horror leaves three dead and dozens sick after nightmare scene

At least three people have died and nearly 20 first responders were rushed to hospital after being exposed to an “unknown substance” at a home in New Mexico, US. Emergency crews were called to the property on Wednesday morning following reports of a suspected overdose, but arrived to find what authorities described as a dangerous and rapidly escalating scene.

According to New Mexico State Police, officers and paramedics discovered four people unresponsive at the home near Hanlon Avenue and Pinon Street shortly after 8am.

One person was found dead outside the property, while another was pronounced dead inside the home. Two additional victims were given emergency medical treatment and rushed to hospital, but one later died in the emergency room.

The surviving occupant remains hospitalized and under quarantine.

Authorities said 18 first responders who entered the home soon began suffering alarming symptoms including nausea, dizziness, vomiting and headaches after coming into contact with the unidentified substance.

Two emergency workers are reportedly in serious condition.

The exposed responders, along with the surviving victim, were transported to University of New Mexico Hospital for treatment and decontamination.

A hospital spokesperson confirmed that “several patients” had been admitted after exposure to “an unknown substance in Torrance County.”

Hazmat crews wearing full protective gear were later deployed to the scene as investigators worked to identify and safely remove the mystery substance.

“Albuquerque Fire Rescue HazMat teams are assisting at the scene in efforts to identify the substance involved,” state police said in a statement.

“At this time, investigators believe the substance may be transmitted through contact and do not believe it to be airborne.”

Officials stressed there is currently “no threat to the public” and said the surrounding area had been secured as the investigation continues.

Residents have been urged to avoid the area while testing is carried out.

Police have not yet revealed what substance may have caused the deaths and illnesses, with authorities now awaiting laboratory results to determine exactly what triggered the incident.

Investigators are continuing to examine whether the case was linked to a hazardous drug, chemical exposure or another toxic material.