News

Troops rescue abductees, arrest collaborators as terrorists surrounder in North East

The Nigerian army said that its troops of the Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai, OPHK, under the ongoing Operation Desert Sanity V and Siege Operations, have recorded significant successes including the rescue of abducted civilians, arrest of terrorist collaborators, recovery of weapons and continued surrender of insurgents’ family members across the theatre.  

A statement signed by Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, Media Information Officer

Headquarters Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI, said that in a major breakthrough, troops of OPHK, while on operation along the Ngoshe–Amuda axis in Gwoza Local Government Area, successfully intercepted and rescued four abducted persons comprising two women and two children.

The victims—Salamatu Sidiq Ali (19), Halima Idrisa (20), Umar Abdullahi (3), and Mustapha Abdullahi (4)—were among residents abducted during the terrorist attack on Ngoshe community on March 3, 2026.

It said that preliminary debrief revealed that the victims had been held at a terrorist enclave but were rescued amid intense military pressure on insurgent hideouts in the Mandara Mountains.

Following medical evaluation, the army said that the rescued victims were safely reunited with their families through community leadership, adding that so far, a total of 65 abducted persons have been rescued, while efforts are ongoing to secure the release of others.

In a related development, the army said that troops of OPHK apprehended a suspected terrorist collaborator, Mrs. Kellu Alhaji Abba (50), at a checkpoint in Baga, Kukawa Local Government Area.

Items recovered from the suspect, according to the army, included clothing materials and other supplies.

Preliminary investigation, according to the statement, indicated that the items were intended for delivery to a terrorist operative in the Dumba general area.  

Similarly, it said that troops arrested another suspected logistics supplier, Mr. Amadu Abdu (50), along the Dalori axis, adding that the suspect was intercepted while transporting a large quantity of packaged items allegedly meant for terrorists.

It said that further investigation revealed that he had been supplying logistics to insurgents in exchange for access to grazing areas. Recovered items included packaged goods, a mobile phone, a cutlass, suspected illicit substances, and cash.

Additionally, troops of OPHK in  conjunction with local hunters arrested four suspected cattle rustlers and terrorist collaborators at Kwaya Kusar Market.

The suspects were apprehended with stolen livestock and are currently undergoing investigation.

The statement said that the troops also recorded the surrender of family members linked to Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists. Among them are Aishatu Sale (20), who surrendered in Bama Local Government Area, and Hauwa Abubakar (70), who escaped from a terrorist enclave in the Mandara Mountains.

“The surrendered individuals disclosed that sustained military pressure and lack of basic necessities within terrorist camps compelled their decision to flee.

“All surrendered persons have been profiled and are undergoing appropriate procedures. In another development, troops on operation  recovered one AK-47 rifle and a loaded magazine along a known terrorist withdrawal route, further degrading the operational capabilities of insurgents,” the statement said.