World

Trump Delays Planned Iran Attack, Cites Serious Negotiations

US President Donald Trump said he had suspended a planned strike on Iran scheduled for Tuesday, after what he described as requests from regional partners and signs of progress in negotiations with Tehran.

He stated that the decision followed appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, who told Washington that ‘serious negotiations are now taking place? and that a deal could still be reached. According to Trump, the emerging framework would ensure ?NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN.?

In a message posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he had ordered the US military not to proceed with the operation. ?I will hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow,? he wrote. He also emphasized that forces had been instructed to remain ready, adding that ?we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow,? while warning that a larger campaign could still follow if talks collapse.

He further said military leadership had been told to prepare for rapid escalation if diplomacy fails, describing a potential response as a ?full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice? should an acceptable agreement not be reached.

Trump had issued a series of escalating warnings in the days prior, including remarks that the ?clock is ticking? and that Iran could face severe consequences if it does not agree to a deal. He also suggested at one point that ?there won?t be anything left? of Iran if negotiations fail.

The United States and Israel have been engaged in a broader conflict with Iran since joint strikes launched in late February, a confrontation that has complicated diplomatic efforts and contributed to rising energy prices and regional instability. Despite multiple rounds of contacts, the talks have remained largely stalled.

Iran recently said it had responded to a US proposal via Pakistani intermediaries. According to reporting attributed to Iranian sources, Washington’s plan reportedly included a five-point framework requiring Iran to keep only one nuclear facility operational and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

Iranian proposals, in turn, emphasized continued control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Tehran has maintained that it will manage the waterway, a key global energy route, while a newly established Iranian body, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority, said it would begin providing real-time updates on maritime activity through social media.

Iran has also insisted on its position regarding sovereignty and negotiations. President Masoud Pezeshkian said ?dialogue does not mean surrender,? adding that Tehran is engaging in talks with ?dignity, authority, and the preservation of the nation’s rights.?

Meanwhile, Trump’s statements came amid broader regional tensions. In Lebanon, Israeli military strikes continued despite a US-brokered ceasefire extension, with at least seven people reported killed on Monday. Lebanese authorities say more than 3,020 people have been killed and 9,273 injured since March 2 in ongoing Israeli operations.

In the Gaza-related maritime situation, condemnation has increased after Israeli forces intercepted vessels in an aid flotilla heading toward Gaza. Reports indicate around 47 ships were seized in international waters, with hundreds of activists detained.

Trump’s comments also highlighted the fluid nature of the negotiations, with the US president stating that while the strike was paused, it was not cancelled. He said Gulf states believed a deal was within reach and suggested Washington could follow that judgment if agreement is reached. However, he maintained that preparations for military action would continue in parallel, underscoring that the option remains open if diplomacy fails.