Israel intercepts Gaza aid flotilla in international waters amid piracy accusations [Getty]
Israeli naval forces have again intercepted and boarded vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters on Monday, escalating international outrage over Israel’s blockade of Gaza and its repeated targeting of civilian humanitarian missions.
The Global Sumud Flotilla said Israeli forces had surrounded and stormed several vessels around 250 nautical miles from Gaza, within Cyprus’s Search and Rescue zone, as the convoy attempted to sail towards the besieged Palestinian enclave.
Live-stream footage shared by activists showed Israeli forces approaching and boarding the boats in broad daylight.
“Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IOF forces are currently boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” the flotilla said in a statement posted on X.
“We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. Governments must act now to stop these illegal acts of piracy meant to maintain Israel’s genocidal siege on Gaza,” it added.
The flotilla, made up of more than 50 civilian vessels that departed from the Turkish city of Marmaris last week, was attempting to challenge Israel’s blockade on Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians facing catastrophic humanitarian conditions after months of war and siege.
According to Forensic Architecture, a research agency based at Goldsmiths, University of London, monitoring the flotilla, at least 10 vessels had been intercepted by midday on Monday.
Global Sumud Flotilla organiser and spokesperson, Rana Ibrahim, told The New Arab that, alongside the 10 vessels that were confirmed to be intercepted, they had lost contact with another 12, which they were monitoring.
Like the last interception in late April, Ibrahim said that hundreds of activists were on board the flotilla, and that lawyers from Israel-based NGO Adalah were set to provide legal aid to any activists detained by Israel.
Asked if the Gaza-bound flotillas would continue, Ibrahim said: “The point is that the flotilla should be mobilising, should be activating people to start moving, to start doing the right thing, to start speaking up, to feel the courage to expand what they think they are capable of doing.
“We will continue to organise until there is a tangible action from elected officials and Israel is held accountable, and liberation is proper for the Palestinian people.”
Israeli media reported that around 20 vessels had been intercepted near Cyprus and roughly 100 activists detained, adding that activists were reportedly transferred to a “floating prison” before being taken to Ashdod for interrogation.
‘New act of piracy’
The flotilla’s Turkish branch said one of its vessels, the Munki, came under “attack” and “close harassment” by Israeli military boats, adding that communication with the vessel was lost during the assault.
Turkey condemned the operation, calling it “a new act of piracy” by Israel.
Hours before the assault, Israel’s Foreign Ministry ordered the flotilla to “change course and turn back immediately”, while Israeli media reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was expected to authorise military action to stop the convoy from reaching Gaza.
The latest interception comes weeks after Israeli forces stopped another Global Sumud Flotilla convoy near Greece on 30 April, detaining 181 people aboard 21 vessels.
Rights group Adalah said two activists, Spanish-Palestinian Saif Abu Keshek and Brazilian activist Thiago Avila, were subjected to psychological abuse during a week-long detention in Ashkelon after that operation.
Rights groups and humanitarian organisations have repeatedly condemned Israel’s blockade on Gaza as collective punishment against the enclave’s civilian population.
Israel’s ongoing war on Gaza has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health authorities, displaced most of the territory’s population, and devastated civilian infrastructure across the enclave.

